Friday, August 5, 2011

How I Got Here

As a child I guess you can say that I was like all the other kids around the neighborhood. I had all my favorite toys and my parents provided me with everything I wanted. Of course we had hard times financially and emotionally but my parents did whatever they had to do to make sure my siblings and I were taken care of. My father broke his back day in and day out trying to keep his company afloat, so he was gone pretty much all the time, often even working a second job. This left my mother taking care of 5 kids usually alone. My siblings and I were never easy on our parents. There were always issues at home caused by everyday stressors and our misbehavior. I personally was a complete tyrant; sure I loved and cared about my family but at the time my selfish attitude consumed my life. I was doing whatever I had to do to fit in with my "friends." I grew up fighting other kids in school and picking on the "outcasts."
 My first fight was in 2nd grade and the attention I got was enough to keep me in trouble. It became a way to get attention from not only my friends but my parents as well. It was negative attention for sure but to me it was better than none. I am not at all blaming anybody else for the way I acted but that was all I knew. I began hanging out with my cousin (who had an even more troubled childhood) and started doing things kids my age should know nothing about. One day in 6th grade I got into it with a kid over him calling me a name . After school I pulled a knife out on him and chased him down the street. I became feared and I loved it. The next day I was called to the office and arrested. I was around 11 years old and that's about when it all went down hill.
Everyday it became a challenge for me to live up to the day before. I began creating enemies and I became one of the most hated kids in the area. I got kicked out of school after school; I never stayed longer than about a year and a half at one school. I soon began smoking weed and stealing to pay for it. I felt invincible with my cousin by my side. My next arrest ocurred when I was 15 years old. I was arrested for theft and shoplifting. My cousin was also arrested with me. I thought I was the baddest dude around and continued fighting people and talking bad about them. At 16 I began selling large amounts of weed and became addicted to the money. My cousin and I were making so much money and we ran out of things to do. We started going places; we road tripped to Vegas, Mexico, and anywhere we could have fun. One day, sitting in the Taco Bell parking lot, on the way home from Mexico, we sat counting our money and we were putting everything away. We put the weed in the glove compartment and the guns under the seats and I put my brass knuckles in my back pocket. We got out out of the car and began walking to the entrance of Taco bell. Next thing I know we were surrounded by 5 cop cars and guns drawn. I was arrested for possesion of a deadly weapon and possesion of marijuana with the intent to distribute. I was 17 years old. The DA gave me the opportunity to straighten up, she offered me a juvenile diversion program and she would drop all charges.I should have learned. I left home and moved with my cousin. I continued selling drugs and living the fast life. Hotel parties were on the regular, we did whatever we wanted, and feared no consequence.                      -M                                                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment